Sunday 15 March 2015

Robert Galbraith: The Silkworm


The Silkworm is the second novel in the Cormoran Strike series written by J K Rowling under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.  It's a crime novel packed full of twists and turns that had me hooked!




I read the first book in the Cormoran Strike series last summer and I loved it.  I'm a sucker for a crime-based thriller, and it was right up my street.  I was immediately excited to read The Silkworm, but it was £6.99 on the Kindle Store for the longest time, and having just graduated from university with a hefty amount of debt and looking to move to Portsmouth, I wan't looking to spend that on a book.  I'm glad I waited, because I paid less than £3 for it back in January.  

My mum and I read this book at the exact same time during February half term, and kept talking about our hunches and guesses, neither of us guessed the ending, although we're kicking ourselves now because there are quite a few clues! It's a really interesting plot line; this is the Amazon synopsis:

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, she just thinks he has gone off by himself for a few days - as he has done before - and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.
But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realises. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were published it would ruin lives - so there are a lot of people who might want to silence him.
And when Quine is found brutally murdered in bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any he has encountered before . . .

There were  a few parts where I did think it was dragging on a little, and there wasn't to much progression in the story, but it was worth it for the twists and turns.  I especially love the receptionist Robin, and I'm looking forward to seeing the relationship between her and Cormoran grow in the future books in this series.

Apparently there are at least six more Cormoran Strike books planned (the next one is planned for 2016), and if they're as enjoyable as the first two I'll be first in line to snap them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment